THE CONSCIENCE QUESTION
SINCERITY: THE ACTION OF THE HEART
Before we begin, the big question. Why do we study and why do we sacrifice?
We make immense sacrifices to gain knowledge; however, we should all make the sincere intention that we are seeking knowledge for the right reasons so that the sacrifice is worth it.
The intellect is a faculty of perception but it is ultimately governed by the heart. One will only benefit from knowledge if the heart is in the right place.
There are 3 reasons why people seek knowledge:
- Entertainment –for the “wow” or, “SubhanAllah” factor ( or these days “Infotainment”)
- Information- Like the Doctors that own Phd’s in Islamic Law. They are not Muslims themselves but excel in knowledge of Islam.
- Beneficial knowledge-which penetrates the heart. This should be the reason we all should be reading this.
In this article we aim to inculcate the understanding that all actions are based upon intentions.
“The reward of deeds depends upon the intentions.” (Bukhari)
Importance of this hadith:-
- Imam Bukhari-used this hadith 9 times- He used it instead of a book introduction.
- Imam Shafi-said that this hadith is one third of knowledge.
- Imam Dawood – said he had narrowed down 4000 hadiths to 4 and this was one of them.
Habit or worship?
In fact what distinguishes an act from worship is the mental/spiritual intention behind it.
Muslim or non muslim?
Muslims are distinguished from non-Muslims by their actions. The acts of Muslims are acts of worship intended to make Allah swt happy with.
Definition: What does Ikhlas mean?
The root letters are Kha, Laam, and Saad. Khalasa is the verb. The doer is called a “Mukhlis”.
Contextual –Khalasa means:
- To purify.
- It means that there were once impurities inside something and we have extracted them.
- You free that thing/heart and give it safety/peace from that impurity: Ibn Manzhoor
- Impurities are called Shawb in Arabic
- The pure heart will act and intend to worship purely for the sake of Allah swt.
- The level of purity in the sincerity one has, is equal to the level of reward they will receive.
- To refine.
- To therefore, purify and refine our hearts so that we intend to do everything for Allah swt to make Him happy.
- The highest level of sincerity is to do something for 3 purposes jointly:-
- For Allah swt
- His promise of Jannah
- Escape from Hellfire
Ikhlas is an action of the heart